Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bathroom Fixtures

Originally Posted: February 6, 2009

You know what's weird? Our house doesn't come with ANY bathroom hardware.

No toilet paper rolls.
No towel bars.
No shower curtain rods.
Nothing!

It's so strange, and when we asked the builder, they commented that too many customers were complaining that they were being installed in a wrong place, and asking them to move it. *Ahem* I'd like to call bullshit on that one. I'm pretty sure no one would do that, and I'm pretty sure it's not something that the builder would be responsible for-it is where it is, if you want it moved, move it. I mean, if you're the builder and you're too lazy to install it, or your policy is to NOT include them, just say so. Morons.

ANYways...this gives us the opportunity to pick out our own fixtures and gives us immediate freedom from the plastic white fixtures that always come with new construction.

Here are some of the fixtures I like:


And in our ensuite, we need towel hooks, so I like either:

(which, to be honest is a little freaky fallic to me. Maybe it's just me, and most of the time they'd have towels on them anyways, but it's a little weird)
OR...

Normally I prefer a brushed nickel look, but since all the fixtures (faucets, etc) are this finish, and actually a fairly similar style, I thought it better to make them all blend nicely.
That toilet paper roll/magazine rack I've liked since I first saw it in a reader redesign on Young House Love in this pic:


And had always wondered how weird it was to love a toilet paper holder so much. Then yesterday I re-read the post and read the comments and saw that I wasn't alone. Phewf. Also, I really like the finish on the one pictured, but not necessarily for our ensuite. I like it so much though, I may get this one for the powder room, which is going to have more of that look anyways.

And the weirdest thing about this whole no-bathroom-hardware nonsense is showering without a curtain. In a normal bathtub/shower duo this wouldn't be possible, but with this setup:

I can just kind of angle myself so that there's minimal spillage. However, the other night, we hit up HD and bought something like this for that very reason (only ours is nicer):

The problem though, is that it had to be custom ordered and it'll take up to 3 weeks for delivery. So I'll develop my minimal-spillage-body-angling-in-the-shower skills until then.

That's all. I was just thinking about it this morning, since tomorrow I get to go house shopping!!! I've been putting it off all week so I could honestly assess what we had and what we needed so I wasn't wasting money, space and stuff. I think it can be argued that bathroom hardware is pretty much a must buy. Yessssssss!

No comments:

Post a Comment